Skip to main content

Day 10. Weights (5.9816)

Day 10 of 10.

...Another weights day...

T

oday was Family Day in Ontario. A holiday. Many people didn't have to go to school or work and hundreds of them came to the gym today.

I like going in the middle of the afternoon because that's when the place is the least busy. It's busy in the morning as people do their workout before going off to work. Many mothers and non-working women come in the morning. There's usually lots of mothers and their toddlers. Then there's the lunch crowd. And the big load is just after work starting around 16h30. Nope. The best time is between 14h and 16h. Except today.

I went at 13h. As I drove up I saw the parking lot was jammed full of cars--not a good sign. Then when I stepped into the lobby, I thought I was entering an airport terminal on the busy day of the year. Then when I got to the exercise room, the long row of elliptical machines were in use--except one. It was a different model than the one I use and when I punched the buttons to set the time etc. it seemed to work but then crapped out. It kept asking me to re-enter data. The machine was broken. There was another available. The same model. I entered the same data and this time it worked. The other one was definitely broken.

30 mins on the elliptical machine and it said I burnt 475 calories. I believe it. RPM was 70 to 75. Lots of sweat. A cardio workout.

Then the weights.

Bench Press: 9kg x 25 reps x 3 sets

Inclined Bench Press: 9kg x 25 reps x 3 sets

I've been doing these chest exercises enough over the last while that I'm going to increase the weight level the next time round. The weight is too easy. That would be on Friday.

Stomach Crunches: 25 reps x 6 sets

Leg Lunges: 10 reps x 6 sets - Left/Right

Doing six sets instead of three.

Lots of stretching.

One of the support staff says there's three things you can do for exercise: push ups, leg lunges and squats. It's old school, but effective. No special equipment required except good shoes. Good shoes area a must. Don't skimp.

I did one squat as she suggested just to see what it's like. I could feel it in my butt. That would see to be a good exercise to do with my leg lunges. Because you're working the large muscles with the squats and lunges, it's also a cardio activity. It will get your heart pumping.

She also thinks six or seven days a week is too much. I'm in a rut where it's hard not to do as much as I have been doing. I don't want to stop my trend because I want to get to 6.00. Another 20 days. I know I can do it and will. After that I'm not sure. Maybe rest on Sundays. Maybe.

Posted 2009/02/16 at 19h10ET in Exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words: Licence— License

Sunday, August 26, 2012 Easy to miss this one. LICENCE—Always a noun. He has a licence to collect alien spaceships. British spelling variation. LICENSE—A noun. A verb. U.S. spelling variation for noun. The federal Bureau for Interplanetary Affairs is empowered to license individuals, corporations and charities. Licence License Licence to Kill by John Gardner Artistic License by Julie Hyzy Posted 2012/08/26 at 18h24ET in Words , Writing .

If Only We Could Agree

Monday, June 11, 2012 ... have you been accused of misspelling a word you know is correct ... S usanne O’Leary wrote an interesting article on her experience with the variations of the English language in different countries. You know the obvious ones like colour with or without a “u” but less obvious ones like travelled versus traveled. Growing up in Sweden she learnt English in school—the UK variation. In publishing her books, she read reviews where she was criticized for improper spelling. False accusations as it turns out. While I write tire and cozy, it’s not incorrect to write tyre or cosy. Same language. Both accepted. Just different. You can read her write-up here along with the numerous comments posted by readers. I found it interesting, but that’s me. As a Canadian I deal with this issue everyday. I feel her pain when she’s criticized for something based on ignorance. No fun. I was told by a boss that “data are” isn’t correct. It should be “data is.” Read

Days 9-108: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

November 25th, 2016 to March 5, 2017 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments. At 15:53 Office ... And so began a three month odyssey away from writing this novel, The Deep Blue Hold. ... W herein I try to explain why I stopped working on this novel. The shortest answer is I gave up. The short explanation is I struggle with mental health issues (MDD, GAD, PTSD) that paralyse me at times. When it happens, I’m not able to do much of anything. Don’t want to do anything and that includes things one might expect to enjoy. For a while I spent time trying to create some thirty-second videos that would play a word puzzle like a crossword. Here’s the clue. Here’s the blank spaces. And after an interval, one of the letters would appear until all the letters appear. A bit of a crossword puzzle in that sometimes you come to a word where crossover words give you certain letters and you have to fill in the rest. A