Skip to main content

Day 8. Swim (5.9797)

Day 8 of 8

...Felt sleepy after a long day, but went to the gym for a workout and it woke me up....

I

was up early today, extremely active and busy. By the late afternoon I was a bit drowsy and sleepy. I had thoughts of not going to the gym. Brief thoughts. But not going would mean adding more weeks to get back to my long-term average of 6.00 so I went and I'm glad I did. After a lap or two I was awake again. The exercise snapped me out of it.

Since it's Saturday, it's a swim day. The pool for lap swims doesn't open until 17h30--that's a late time in the day for my workout, but so be it.

Normally I might do 20 to 25 laps. Today I did 30 laps and was in the water for 30 mins. I think that's a record. I'm not a fast swimmer, but not terrible either, and I think because I've been swimming once a week since the end of May 2008, my body has adjusted to swimming and it's gotten easier. Easier to hold my breath. Easier to do lap after lap.

Since it's Valentine's Day, there weren't many people in the pool. That's good. No getting banged from other people as they swim by in the same lane.

One woman came in as I did. She's single, late thirties, fit, attractive, blonde. I've seen her many times in the fitness room using the cardio machines, lifting weights, but I had never seen her in the pool. After one lap I realized why. She's not a good swimmer. Have you ever seen a three-toed sloth in water? Just like that. She strapped a floatation belt around her waist. She paddled with a flutter board. Her legs swished and banged and created a big torrent of water, yet she barely advanced. I finished two laps while she barely finished one. At one point she said to me, "I can run marathons, but I can't swim." Very odd. Also very self-conscious of her. So what if she can't swim. I should have asked her how often she swims and assure her she'll get better with practice.

I've been swimming all my life, in all sorts of bodies of waters and conditions. I'm like a seal when it comes to water. And I love it. I'm surprised I don't swim more often. I guess I don't because I feel it's a good enough workout but it is. 30 mins of swimming. Heart rate around 120 bpm. That's a cardio workout.

So that's eight days in a row. My long-term average is now 5.9797--so close to 5.98 and only 22 days away from 6.00.

Since Jan 1 I have missed 5 days out of 45 for an average of 6.2222 days per week. It would have been higher had I not been sick for three days.

Posted 2009/02/14 at 19h33ET in Exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words: Licence— License

Sunday, August 26, 2012 Easy to miss this one. LICENCE—Always a noun. He has a licence to collect alien spaceships. British spelling variation. LICENSE—A noun. A verb. U.S. spelling variation for noun. The federal Bureau for Interplanetary Affairs is empowered to license individuals, corporations and charities. Licence License Licence to Kill by John Gardner Artistic License by Julie Hyzy Posted 2012/08/26 at 18h24ET in Words , Writing .

If Only We Could Agree

Monday, June 11, 2012 ... have you been accused of misspelling a word you know is correct ... S usanne O’Leary wrote an interesting article on her experience with the variations of the English language in different countries. You know the obvious ones like colour with or without a “u” but less obvious ones like travelled versus traveled. Growing up in Sweden she learnt English in school—the UK variation. In publishing her books, she read reviews where she was criticized for improper spelling. False accusations as it turns out. While I write tire and cozy, it’s not incorrect to write tyre or cosy. Same language. Both accepted. Just different. You can read her write-up here along with the numerous comments posted by readers. I found it interesting, but that’s me. As a Canadian I deal with this issue everyday. I feel her pain when she’s criticized for something based on ignorance. No fun. I was told by a boss that “data are” isn’t correct. It should be “data is.” Read

Days 9-108: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

November 25th, 2016 to March 5, 2017 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments. At 15:53 Office ... And so began a three month odyssey away from writing this novel, The Deep Blue Hold. ... W herein I try to explain why I stopped working on this novel. The shortest answer is I gave up. The short explanation is I struggle with mental health issues (MDD, GAD, PTSD) that paralyse me at times. When it happens, I’m not able to do much of anything. Don’t want to do anything and that includes things one might expect to enjoy. For a while I spent time trying to create some thirty-second videos that would play a word puzzle like a crossword. Here’s the clue. Here’s the blank spaces. And after an interval, one of the letters would appear until all the letters appear. A bit of a crossword puzzle in that sometimes you come to a word where crossover words give you certain letters and you have to fill in the rest. A