Skip to main content

Constantine (2005)

Constantine. Feature film. (2005, 121 mins) IMDB

...the fantasy world of hell...

F

rom what I've read, I may have been one of the few people who enjoyed this movie. It happens. What's even more surprising is the fact the film deals with the supernatural, with fantasy, and I was able to suspend my disbelief and follow what was being told.

The film is after all a fantasy. There is no heaven and there is no hell. We see hell in this film plus the devil and his son. We see angels (or are they fallen angels), but not heaven. Then there is something called half-breads. They seem to be humans who are possessed with an evil spirit of sorts. I can't explain it beyond that.

Then there is John Constantine (Reeves). As a boy something happened to him and he realized he possessed a special power--the power to see hell and hell on earth or these forces that come from hell. He also tried to commit suicide but he survived and lives with the knowledge that when he dies, he'll go directly to hell. What happened to repenting and forgiveness? He's trying to avoid a permanent trip to hell by doing good deeds on earth. He figures if he gets rid of enough evil spirits, he'll be in the good books and get to go to heaven and as the story starts he learns his time on earth won't last much longer. He's dying of lung cancer.

While watching this film, it got me thinking about hell and I remember an incident grilling lamb chops. They were French cut and I placed them on a very hot grill. I managed to leave them on the grill far too long. The result was the exposed bone burnt to dust. I have never before or since had that happen or seen it happen or hear of it happening. I was surprised. I had cremated the bone. I mention this because I've been told hell is a hot place and if you go there you'll suffer eternal pain from this heat. I don't get it. How can you suffer pain if your body is on earth? If you body goes to hell then at some point it will burn up so how can it be eternal? I don't have the answers to these questions. I'm curious to hear people's answer. Remember, there is no hell so it's all fantasy and academic, but it's interesting.

Back to the film.

Constantine is on a crusade to stop the evil-from-hell forces on earth, but there's more. There's twin sisters. One is a cop. The other a nut-case who committed suicide or so the evidence suggests. Since suicide is a mortal since, she goes straight to hell and can't have a religious burial. The surviving twin knows her sister wouldn't kill herself and enlists Constantine to find evidence in the afterlife to prove her case. He's not too interested but he gets involved and even more involved when he realizes the son the devil is plotting to reincarnate himself on earth etc. and so on.

As you can imagine, the devil and his son loses. Our hero triumphs and gets the girl.

Maybe because I don't watch many fantasy films or read the genre, and therefore not familiar with the norms, I can't be negative about what takes place. I will say I was caught up in this story and found it interesting with a few philosophical sidebars along the way to distract me.

Posted 2009/05/13 at 19h42ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Only We Could Agree

Monday, June 11, 2012 ... have you been accused of misspelling a word you know is correct ... S usanne O’Leary wrote an interesting article on her experience with the variations of the English language in different countries. You know the obvious ones like colour with or without a “u” but less obvious ones like travelled versus traveled. Growing up in Sweden she learnt English in school—the UK variation. In publishing her books, she read reviews where she was criticized for improper spelling. False accusations as it turns out. While I write tire and cozy, it’s not incorrect to write tyre or cosy. Same language. Both accepted. Just different. You can read her write-up here along with the numerous comments posted by readers. I found it interesting, but that’s me. As a Canadian I deal with this issue everyday. I feel her pain when she’s criticized for something based on ignorance. No fun. I was told by a boss that “data are” isn’t correct. It should be “data is.” Read

Days 9-108: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

November 25th, 2016 to March 5, 2017 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments. At 15:53 Office ... And so began a three month odyssey away from writing this novel, The Deep Blue Hold. ... W herein I try to explain why I stopped working on this novel. The shortest answer is I gave up. The short explanation is I struggle with mental health issues (MDD, GAD, PTSD) that paralyse me at times. When it happens, I’m not able to do much of anything. Don’t want to do anything and that includes things one might expect to enjoy. For a while I spent time trying to create some thirty-second videos that would play a word puzzle like a crossword. Here’s the clue. Here’s the blank spaces. And after an interval, one of the letters would appear until all the letters appear. A bit of a crossword puzzle in that sometimes you come to a word where crossover words give you certain letters and you have to fill in the rest. A

Words: BONE—GONE—LOAN—BOAN

Friday, March 31, 2017 You’d think BONE would rhyme with GONE but no. This is the English language after all. But BONE does rhyme with LOAN so we’ll spell it BOAN. It will take some time to update all the existing writings but it can be done. Meanwhile, if you smash up your car, the insurance company will allow you to get a LOANER and if you happen to meet the right person you may get a BOANER. boan Post comments on facebook page Posted 2017/03/31 at 17h28ET in Words .