Skip to main content

A Good Woman (2004)

A Good Woman. Feature film. (2004, 93 mins) IMDB

...Adapting a play for film is never an easy task...

O

ne has to wonder how, in adapting a play to film, they can change locations (England to Italy), centuries (1890's to 1930's), nationalities (British to US) and heros (Lady Windermere to Mrs. Erlynne) and expect it to resonant as the play does. It can happen, but not with A Good Woman--a 2006 feature film starring Helen Hunt and Scarlett Johansson.

I almost believe the brain trust behind the film saw A Month by the Lake with Venessa Redgrave and wanted a similar movie. They thought about it and came up with Oscar Wilde's play Lady Windermere's Fan instead of an original story.

It's based on the play, but they shouldn't have bothered.

The play addresses two issues: satirizing the British upper class and illustrating the manner in which most humans jump to conclusions often to their own detriment.

But how do you satirize the British upper class when the film is set in Italy with Americans as the central characters? You don't. You cast big US stars so film distributors will show the movie.

The play is brilliantly structured to create tension, suspense and insight, and is focused on Lady Windermere—hence the title. There is no Lady Windermere in the film version. She's Mrs. Windermere and she's been dropped to play a lesser role as the film focuses on Mrs. Erlynne. I suspect Helen Hunt and her agent had more influence on creating the screenplay. Young Scarlett is still learning the biz.

And Lady Windermere's fan, such a crucial prop in the play, has little meaning in the film.

Then there are Oscar Wilde's famous quotes, several come from this play including:

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

but it's not in the film.

It's a shame. These issues dramatized so well in the play are as relevant today as they were a hundred years ago, but you wouldn't know it from this film.

Posted 2007/06/24 at 20h03ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please, Please, Please, No More

Saturday, October 8, 2011 ... what is the best way to start your novel ... C ount them. One. Two. I downloaded two thriller e-books from amazon.com, both published by the author, and they both started the same way: the character waking up and going about some morning ritual. Both books were in the top 100 bestsellers of Mystery & Thrillers Fiction. Both had many positive reviews. Those facts seemed encouraging, but once I read the opening scene, I stopped. I did not continue. But James that seems harsh? Perhaps, yes, but the writer is sending a signal with such an opening. It says, I have more to learn about writing thrillers for today’s audience. Why do I say that? Because a waking-up scene is mundane. It’s ordinary. It happens to us everyday. We don’t read thrillers for the mundane and ordinary. We read them for the extraordinary. We read them to live vicariously through the characters. We read them to be entertained. There is nothing in those waking-up scenes th...

Analysis of Amazon E-book Fiction Bestsellers (Week #1)

Sunday, October 30, 2011 ... trying to make sense of the amazon bestsellers and pricing for e-books ... E ach hour Amazon updates its bestsellers lists. I have taken a daily snapshot of the top 20 bestsellers in the e-book fiction list for the past week. See here . What can be learnt from these data? 1. 4 out 5 of the bestsellers are from print or traditional authors. Most are brand-named authors who dominate the print bestsellers. 2. Almost all of the authors have multiple titles to their credit. The author of The Help is a notable exception. 3. The e-book prices of indie authors are substantially lower than print authors. For the most part, their titles are priced at $0.99. 4. The books on the list fall into four categories: (i) pre-release from brand-named authors, (ii) new or recently released titles (iii) long-term bestsellers (greater than one year), (iv) backlist titles. Indie authors fall into (ii) and (iv). 5. The indie authors includes authors who ...

Checked Off

Sunday, April 11, 2010 ... one To Do is off the list ... I recently completed a task that was completely irrational. It was a fixture on my To-Do list because I always put it off. This week I decided to change that. I dug through my files of sketches and drawings and scanned them into my computer. A simple concept, sure, but tedious and time consuming. I suggest wearing latex gloves or buying hand lotion, but maybe that's a personal choice...Anyway, I now have a folder with 1.2 GBs of JPEG and PSD files. Here's an example from 1992. Right, where's that To-Do list? I want to sketch a line on it. Posted 2010/04/11 at 13h54ET in JamesPiper.com.