Monday, August 20, 2012
... some decisions are easier to make than others because you don't have all the facts...
I have a decision to make. Two of my novels on Amazon are part of the KDP select program and the 90-day period expires in a week. I have some free promotion days left to use. Do I use them or let them expire? Do I re-enlist for another 90 days? How to decide?
Overview of the KDP Select Program:
- Applies to e-books only.
- 90-day period.
- Book becomes exclusive to Amazon.
- No non-Amazon sales allowed.
- 5 free promotion days.
- Unused promo days expire. No roll over.
- No royalty for promo day downloads.
- Lending program for Select members.
- 1 new lend per month per member.
- Royalty for lending, around $2 per lend.
- People love free and will download.
- Increased visibility from:
- Amazon’s list of books currently in free promo.
- Web sites and tweets of your free promo.
- Hitting bestseller list on Amazon.
- More clicks on the LIKE button for the book.
- Reviews posted on Amazon and elsewhere.
- Increased sales after the promotion period.
- Increased rankings afterwards.
- No sales from non-Amazon sites.
- No royalties during free promo days.
- Tonnes of free books offered everyday.
- Downloads don’t turn into reads or readers.
- Visibility lasts for a short time.
- Income from lending less than regular royalty.
I think I have covered most of the key points on this issue.
I have one week left to use the free promo days. I suspect my lost royalties, if I use the days, will be less than royalties gained later. In other words, I think it will help to generate more future sales than would otherwise be the case. I can’t be certain but that’s my best guess and hence I should use them up.
I’m not sure if I should enrol for the next period. The calculus would include sales on Itunes, B&N, Kobo etc. It’s not insignificant. With greater visibility, there comes a tipping point where you can’t ignore sales outside Amazon.
NOTE: If you have a book enrolled, check your KDP bookshelf. Select a title, click Actions then See KDP Select Details. A window will pop up. There you will find a checkbox to automatically renew enrolment. You may want to uncheck it.
Posted 2012/08/20 at 16h17ET in Publishing.