Skip to main content

A Sound of Thunder (2005)

A Sound of Thunder. Feature film. (2005, 100 mins) IMDB

...Will this time machine movie be any different from the rest?...

A

nother time machine movie. Haven't we seen enough of them? What is supposed to be different about this one? It turns out nothing? It's the same saw. You can go back in time, but in doing so disrupting even the tiniest thing will have evolutionary repercussions on the future and that's what this film deals with.

Our team, led by Edwards, goes back in time with no problems, but when they do it again, something isn't right. The present world is changing in massive time waves. They realize they have to go back fix to their mistake but each time wave means more changes in the present which makes it nearly impossible to fix, but of course they do. And everyone lives happily ever after. Ta-dah. And boring.

As I watched this film, I wondered why Edward Burns got involved in this film. Was he becoming like Ben Affleck? Doing films for the money? Maybe.

The film is loaded with special effects especially of the CGI variety and it looks like it. I thought I was watching a cheap TV show. Some times special effects work but a great deal of the time, they look just like what they are: special effects. Maybe it's because the story is so thin the poor fx stand out, I'm not sure, but they looked cheesy even if twenty years ago they would have been state-of-the-art.

And why was Ben Kingsley in this film? See above I suppose. It seems this film was made in the UK and therefore all the UK talent except for the US lead.

This time machine story takes place in the future, around 2055 in a futuristic looking Chicago. Time Travel is the norm but expensive and government controlled. The problem starts when one of the guest travellers steps on a butterfly and kills it. It takes a while for the team to figure out exactly what went wrong, but that was it. It seems to me there's a eco-story about one butterfly dying and the ripple effect it has on the eco-system except in this tale it happens over a 65 million year time frame.

Since the changes have a ripple effect throughout, it means an impact on the evolution of humans, but that would effect the story of the movie. Can't have that. Must have same humans living to fix the problem. The solution. Time waves. The changes don't happen in once burst, but in several. The graphic is a giant wave washing over Chicago as if Lake Michigan could create a massive tsunami. With the first wave, plants grow as if it's the Amazon. In the next wave, more plant life but new, fierce creatures and so on until the entire city is living in anarchy.

None of the technology is explained. That's okay provided it makes sense, but time waves?!? Oh well.

In an early scene, Burns is sitting at a computer when his boss (Kingsley) commands him to attend a party. During the scene we hear the alert, sharp dialogue from Burns's mouth. It doesn't happen again. I suspect that scene was shot early in production when he may have had hopes for the film, but later realized it was hopeless and mailed in the rest of his performance. It wouldn't surprise me.

Watch this movie if you must, but there isn't one redeeming feature in it.

Posted 2009/02/09 at 20h00ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

Monday, November 21st, 2016 No work on the novel on Day 4. Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments.
At 18:31—Office ... if I use Leänne instead of Leanne how will people react... Y esterday was Sunday and I took it off, plus I was dealing with some mental health issues. I know this story is something that is simply a matter of putting in the time to make it happen. I’m supposed to be working on it as much as I can but I haven’t been doing that. Two main reasons. It’s been a while since I’ve worked on a story. Then there’s the issues of my mental health. Things happen. I get down and it impacts on my writing. I might be using it as an excuse, but it’s clearly something I need to deal with. I have to find a schedule I can work with. Perhaps I need to put this first and cut out other things. Not sure but I will figure it out. A name for the hero came to me. For the moment going with Leanne or is it Leanna? Should be Le…

Writing a Novel: The Deep Blue Hold–Introduction

Thursday, March 9th, 2017 ... I fight my insecurities and doubts and I withdraw farther away from people and life ... I n November 2016 I started work on a new novel with the working title: The Deep Blue Cage. A few weeks after I started, I stopped. I was feeling too depressed about everything including the idea of writing a new novel. It happens to me at various times, with varying degrees, and it is debilitating. The ultimate issue was: Why bother? Why bother write another novel no one will read and no one will care about. I also found I was dreading the writing process more and more. It was painful to think about. I walked away and focused on other things. Or tried to. That didn’t work either. I felt trapped and unsure where I should head, what I should do. I even asked the big question, what the hell is life about anyway. There’s no one answer to this question despite the proclamations of some and because I believe I can think critically, can reason, I look at it from many a…

Day 6: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments.
At 20:44—Office ... Lost at sea, she's rescued by a ship and wished she had never set foot on it.... N othing new on this story. Nothing came to me while I was sleeping or when on my errands. I thought something would come about, but nope. So be it. I have two chapters written. Not sure if they are any good but they are there. And so Chp. 3 to write. And I don’t see the scene because I’m not sure what should happen. The question is what is the cliffhanger. Nope. 3 about her, not the ship and crew. And I’ve already written the last line of the chapter. She wakes up and feels immense pain. Not sure if I should mention blood in the water. This chapter or the following. So it’s early dawn or not quite sunrise. And she’s in the cockpit unconscious. But how do I write it from her POV if she’s out. Hmmm. I can do it but should I do it? And I don’t w…