Skip to main content

For Love of Ivy (1968)

For Love of Ivy. Feature film. (1968, 101 mins) IMDB

...A romantic comedy you've probably never heard of, but should...

I

t didn't long into this movie to realize I had seen it before. How could I have forgotten? Too many movies? Not sure.

FOR LOVE OF IVY is a romantic comedy where Sidney Poitier plays a successful businessman (he and his partner run a day-time trucking company and a night-time gambling operation). She's a live-in maid to a wealth family in the suburbs of NYC. One of those homes on Long Island with a view of the ocean and lots of green grass. There's a husband and wife and two adult children. The family all talk with Ivy but not to each other. Then the bombshell.

Ivy gives notice. She wants to quit her job as a maid to the family, move into NYC and go to school. She wants something more. Nothing the family says can make her change her minds. She's going to leave.

The two children hatch a plan. Maybe if she met a man, she'd wouldn't want to leave. Tim, the hippie son, scams a meeting with Jack Parks who happens to do trucking business with the family company. Jack isn't too pleased about it. He's single and wants to stay that way. Besides, a maid isn't his idea of a mate. Part of the plan includes Ivy being there at the same time and the two meet. Before you know it, he's invited to dinner and the story is in full swing.

What develops is love. He falls in love with her, scene by scene. She likewise. There comes a point where they must split up, the end of Act II. Before they split up, they were definitely in love with each other even if they didn't say it entirely.

What causes the break-up? Ivy realizes there was a set-up. She reasons Jack is only going along with the kid's blackmail which is essence: date our maid or we'll tell the cops about your illegal gambling operation. It's true, but it's not true. It started out that way, but as he got to know her, he fell in love.

Since it's a film from 1968 and the two lead characters are black in a white world, race plays a part of the story, but it's a comedy and therefore it's toned down.

It would be easy to quibble about the plot, but that would take away from seeing these two people fall in love. It was fun to watch. Too bad Abbey Lincoln who played Ivy didn't have more feature film roles. She was beautiful and charming to watch. If I have to explain anything about Sidney Poitier then you must be young.

Posted 2009/03/06 at 18h41ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please, Please, Please, No More

Saturday, October 8, 2011 ... what is the best way to start your novel ... C ount them. One. Two. I downloaded two thriller e-books from amazon.com, both published by the author, and they both started the same way: the character waking up and going about some morning ritual. Both books were in the top 100 bestsellers of Mystery & Thrillers Fiction. Both had many positive reviews. Those facts seemed encouraging, but once I read the opening scene, I stopped. I did not continue. But James that seems harsh? Perhaps, yes, but the writer is sending a signal with such an opening. It says, I have more to learn about writing thrillers for today’s audience. Why do I say that? Because a waking-up scene is mundane. It’s ordinary. It happens to us everyday. We don’t read thrillers for the mundane and ordinary. We read them for the extraordinary. We read them to live vicariously through the characters. We read them to be entertained. There is nothing in those waking-up scenes th...

Analysis of Amazon E-book Fiction Bestsellers (Week #1)

Sunday, October 30, 2011 ... trying to make sense of the amazon bestsellers and pricing for e-books ... E ach hour Amazon updates its bestsellers lists. I have taken a daily snapshot of the top 20 bestsellers in the e-book fiction list for the past week. See here . What can be learnt from these data? 1. 4 out 5 of the bestsellers are from print or traditional authors. Most are brand-named authors who dominate the print bestsellers. 2. Almost all of the authors have multiple titles to their credit. The author of The Help is a notable exception. 3. The e-book prices of indie authors are substantially lower than print authors. For the most part, their titles are priced at $0.99. 4. The books on the list fall into four categories: (i) pre-release from brand-named authors, (ii) new or recently released titles (iii) long-term bestsellers (greater than one year), (iv) backlist titles. Indie authors fall into (ii) and (iv). 5. The indie authors includes authors who ...

Checked Off

Sunday, April 11, 2010 ... one To Do is off the list ... I recently completed a task that was completely irrational. It was a fixture on my To-Do list because I always put it off. This week I decided to change that. I dug through my files of sketches and drawings and scanned them into my computer. A simple concept, sure, but tedious and time consuming. I suggest wearing latex gloves or buying hand lotion, but maybe that's a personal choice...Anyway, I now have a folder with 1.2 GBs of JPEG and PSD files. Here's an example from 1992. Right, where's that To-Do list? I want to sketch a line on it. Posted 2010/04/11 at 13h54ET in JamesPiper.com.