Skip to main content

They Call Me MISTER Tibbs! (1970)

They Call Me MISTER Tibbs!. Feature film. (1970, 108 mins) IMDB

...Was too much expected after the first film?...

S

idney Poitier is an icon and deservedly so, but not because of this movie. The title for this film comes from a line from one of those movies, but if I have to explain that, well...

Mister Tibbs is a detective working in San Francisco. He has a wife and two young children. Part of the story is the typical husband/father absent from home because of his work.

The main story arc is a murder in an apartment building where the prime suspect is a good friend of Tibbs. That friend is also a minister of unknown denomination and a political activist. He leads the charge for proposition No. 4. Whatever that might be.

From the opening credits, to the slow start, to the cheesy look, the film felt like a TV show from the 70s. Further there is nothing terrible interesting or exciting about the story line. No great insights. No great revelations.

I watched the trailer for this film after watching the film. It creates the image of an action piece with lots of excitement. Each bit of film from the trailer was shown in the film, but it's misleading. The pace of the film is so much slower. The action tired and trite. What is interesting is how the trailer was cut and put together. It also reinforces the old adage: don't believe everything you see.

Posted 2009/03/06 at 18h41ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please, Please, Please, No More

Saturday, October 8, 2011 ... what is the best way to start your novel ... C ount them. One. Two. I downloaded two thriller e-books from amazon.com, both published by the author, and they both started the same way: the character waking up and going about some morning ritual. Both books were in the top 100 bestsellers of Mystery & Thrillers Fiction. Both had many positive reviews. Those facts seemed encouraging, but once I read the opening scene, I stopped. I did not continue. But James that seems harsh? Perhaps, yes, but the writer is sending a signal with such an opening. It says, I have more to learn about writing thrillers for today’s audience. Why do I say that? Because a waking-up scene is mundane. It’s ordinary. It happens to us everyday. We don’t read thrillers for the mundane and ordinary. We read them for the extraordinary. We read them to live vicariously through the characters. We read them to be entertained. There is nothing in those waking-up scenes th...

Analysis of Amazon E-book Fiction Bestsellers (Week #1)

Sunday, October 30, 2011 ... trying to make sense of the amazon bestsellers and pricing for e-books ... E ach hour Amazon updates its bestsellers lists. I have taken a daily snapshot of the top 20 bestsellers in the e-book fiction list for the past week. See here . What can be learnt from these data? 1. 4 out 5 of the bestsellers are from print or traditional authors. Most are brand-named authors who dominate the print bestsellers. 2. Almost all of the authors have multiple titles to their credit. The author of The Help is a notable exception. 3. The e-book prices of indie authors are substantially lower than print authors. For the most part, their titles are priced at $0.99. 4. The books on the list fall into four categories: (i) pre-release from brand-named authors, (ii) new or recently released titles (iii) long-term bestsellers (greater than one year), (iv) backlist titles. Indie authors fall into (ii) and (iv). 5. The indie authors includes authors who ...

If Only We Could Agree

Monday, June 11, 2012 ... have you been accused of misspelling a word you know is correct ... S usanne O’Leary wrote an interesting article on her experience with the variations of the English language in different countries. You know the obvious ones like colour with or without a “u” but less obvious ones like travelled versus traveled. Growing up in Sweden she learnt English in school—the UK variation. In publishing her books, she read reviews where she was criticized for improper spelling. False accusations as it turns out. While I write tire and cozy, it’s not incorrect to write tyre or cosy. Same language. Both accepted. Just different. You can read her write-up here along with the numerous comments posted by readers. I found it interesting, but that’s me. As a Canadian I deal with this issue everyday. I feel her pain when she’s criticized for something based on ignorance. No fun. I was told by a boss that “data are” isn’t correct. It should be “data is.” Read...