Skip to main content

Snakes On A Plane (2006)

Snakes On A Plane. Feature film. (2006, 105 mins) IMDB

...one too many snakes on a plane...

H

as there every been a movie with such internet buzz before it was even made? That's the legacy of this film, not the film itself.

Snakes on a plane sums it up. Not much else to say, but I'll throw out a few comments.

Oddly the film was first setup with Paramount, but after a while they decided they didn't want to produce it. The death of a screenplay, except the people behind it bought it back, known as turnaround, and got a new deal with New Line Cinema. Turnarounds don't happen very often. Studios buy more screenplays than they put into production and if they don't green-light it, it sits on a dusty shelf--think of the closing scene of RAIDERS and where the ark ended up. It's just the nature of the Hollywood system. William Goldman in his book WHAT LIE DID I TELL? suggests if he were the head of a studio, he'd hire a bunch of readers and comb through all the scripts the studio owns, but never produced. There might be some gems hidden there.

But back to the film on the screen. The story line goes like this: whatever the hell the filmmakers needed to get a whole bunch of people on a plane with a lot of poisonous snakes. That's the narrative. Start to finish.

The film starts out like a comedy with images of sun and fun in Hawaii. We know a fun ride will follow, parts reminded me of the opening of AIRPLANE!, but once the snakes are loose, it's no longer a comedy. It becomes part action film and mainly a horror film. I'm not a fan of horror films and not once did I feel frightened or terrified by these snakes on the screen, but if it had been on that plane, I'd would have been frightened to shade of pale worse than death.

What surprised me was the relentlessness and intensity and number of snake attacks on countless passengers. Some images are gruesome. The deal toll sounds like a body count from a battle.

Prior to the film's release, the buzz on the internet was unprecedented. I think everyone involved in making the film had visions of a STAR WARS like blockbuster, but after a big opening weekend, the film tanked. Word of mouth brought it up and it brought it down. Why?

I can offer a few reasons. An R rating will obviously impact who can see it. It limits the potential target market. The irony is the studio wanted and got a PG-13 film, but based on the buzz and expectation about Samuel L. Jackson saying a certain line using a certain explicative, the film was reshoot. To use the word motherfucker once meant an R so they added scenes to make it even more R rated. I'm not sure if it made the film better or worse, but it limited the potential audience.

Second, starting out with comic overtones then changing genres throws off people. Not consciously, but they are confused and wonder what the filmmakers were doing.

Finally, it was overkill with the snakes. Too many. Too many attacks. Too many deaths. Too gruesome. Too horrific. That's my opinion and some will disagree, but consider this. If you knew there was one poisonous snake roaming around your home and you couldn't find it, what would you do? How frightened would you be? How effective would it be in getting your attention?

Posted 2009/03/25 at 20h30ET in Movie Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Only We Could Agree

Monday, June 11, 2012 ... have you been accused of misspelling a word you know is correct ... S usanne O’Leary wrote an interesting article on her experience with the variations of the English language in different countries. You know the obvious ones like colour with or without a “u” but less obvious ones like travelled versus traveled. Growing up in Sweden she learnt English in school—the UK variation. In publishing her books, she read reviews where she was criticized for improper spelling. False accusations as it turns out. While I write tire and cozy, it’s not incorrect to write tyre or cosy. Same language. Both accepted. Just different. You can read her write-up here along with the numerous comments posted by readers. I found it interesting, but that’s me. As a Canadian I deal with this issue everyday. I feel her pain when she’s criticized for something based on ignorance. No fun. I was told by a boss that “data are” isn’t correct. It should be “data is.” Read

Days 9-108: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

November 25th, 2016 to March 5, 2017 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments. At 15:53 Office ... And so began a three month odyssey away from writing this novel, The Deep Blue Hold. ... W herein I try to explain why I stopped working on this novel. The shortest answer is I gave up. The short explanation is I struggle with mental health issues (MDD, GAD, PTSD) that paralyse me at times. When it happens, I’m not able to do much of anything. Don’t want to do anything and that includes things one might expect to enjoy. For a while I spent time trying to create some thirty-second videos that would play a word puzzle like a crossword. Here’s the clue. Here’s the blank spaces. And after an interval, one of the letters would appear until all the letters appear. A bit of a crossword puzzle in that sometimes you come to a word where crossover words give you certain letters and you have to fill in the rest. A

Day 8: Writing a Novel—The Deep Blue Hold

Thursday, November 24th, 2016 Note: Unedited writings from my notebook for this novel. Square bracket items represent added comments. At 15:53 Office ... This was a Chinese ship with Chinese officers. He didn't need some damn Dutch sailor to tell him how to run his ship. ... Y esterday was a day of distraction and writer’s block as I didn’t get too far. No new pages and nothing new on the story. Right now I’m stepping back to Tuesday, trying to get my mind around this story. Would it help if to read what I have. [Draft pages of the novel.] ____ Later. What I have is okay. It’s working. Of course it needs edits but that’s for another day. I think I worked out the broad strokes for Chps. 4, 5 & 6. Chp. 4 Captain on ship Chp. 5 Family back home Chp. 6. Leanne tending to her wounds Time to brainstorm some ideas for Chp. 4. It’s dawn. People getting up for morning routine. There will be a change of watch. Cross checking containers… The captain w